TOMPKINS HARDWARE LIMITED is committed to ensuring equal access and participation for people with disabilities.
1. Tompkins Hardware and Tompkins Outdoors are committed to ensuring equal access and participation for people with disabilities. We are committed to treating people with disabilities in a way that allows them to maintain their dignity and independence. We believe in integration and are committed to meeting the needs of people with disabilities in a timely manner. We will do so by removing and preventing barriers to accessibility and meeting our accessibility requirements under; the Accessibility for the Accessibility Standard for Customer Service, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Ontario’s accessibility laws.
2. We are committed to training staff and volunteers in Ontario’s accessibility laws and aspects of the Human Rights Code that relate to persons with disabilities.
3. We will communicate with people with disabilities in ways that take into account their disability. When asked, we will provide information about our organization and its services, including public safety information, in accessible formats or with communication supports.
4. We will notify employees, potential hires and the public that accommodations can be made during recruitment and hiring. We will notify staff that supports are available for those with disabilities. We will put in place a process to develop individual accommodation plans for employees. Where needed, we will also provide customized emergency information to help an employee with a disability during an emergency. Our performance management, career development and redeployment processes will take into account the accessibility needs of all employees.
5. We will modify or remove an existing policy that does not respect and promote the dignity and independence of people with disabilities.
- Recognizing Current Processes and Initiatives
1. Our websites contain contact information for all the retail divisions, to provide a variety of communication options.
2. Delivery services can be arranged for customers who cannot leave their home. Discussion with sales staff at time of purchase, especially around potential hazards to both staff and customer, as well as specific accommodations being made. Not all accommodation can be made to protect the health and safety of our delivery staff.
3. Personal shopping appointments for persons with disabilities can be arranged with a specific location either through a phone call to the store in question, or through e-mail.
- Moving Forward with Dignity
1. Through consultation with our Health and Safety Committees or Representatives at each location. We will continue to identify and address potential barriers to persons with disabilities.
2. Accessibility plans will be made for each location through this consultation. Common themes from these plans will be reviewed by the Health and Safety and Human Resource Departments for allocation of required resources, whether that be training, policy adjustments or physical changes.
3. Customer feedback will also be reviewed by the Health and Safety and Human Resource Departments in the same manner as the plans.
4. This Policy will be reviewed every 3 years, or earlier if changes are required as the result of public and private consultation.
- For more information:
3. Mail at Box 180 Emo, Ontario P0W1E0
4. Or visit tompkinshardware.com tompkinsoutdoors.com